Research Repositories

I’m starting to kick around the idea of putting together a research repository at work. Not only to help with hand off between project phased, but to also do a bit of internal marketing for our budding team.

What sort of bespoke, or possible open source solutions are out there? I know there are a few web based tools out there, but we’d really need to run something on prem and behind some pretty intense security.

@hollyface1975 @hana @avangelist

It’s probably a good idea to link to Kate Towsey’s airtable on this question I reckon!
For me confluence ties you to the limitations of a wiki. Pretty powerful for sorting in a tree structure which is pretty comfy for most, but totally binding and missing the potential to analyze across projects and time if you can build with a good level of metadata to extend your capacity to both search and discover patterns, then you’re better off.

Do you have a link? Can’t seem to find it on the Slack Tools channel :confused: @Brigette

Or maybe @katetowsey has it handy!

@ryan

Also, SharePoint (if your office uses Office365) is a great place to start because you can gateway access and provide all types of materials and media in a group on there.

Good to see this convo happening here.

Hey Kate – love the repo of tools! I see a few killer tools missing. How best to share them with you and the research world?

@Tom OK, you’ve piqued my interest. Feel free to share them here :slight_smile: @katetowsey

:slight_smile:

Checking again, I realised some things actually ARE there.

But in the world of A/B testing calculators, abtestguide.com is hands down the best – whether you need frequentist or Bayesian stats.

And I think remote usability and interviewing tool Validately is missing.

We’re looking to do something similar in our company. We need a place to store our research videos, transcripts, presentations, findings etc - but also to share with the Consumer Insights team. A place we can store everything together, tag it, search for it, and share with the our PO’s.
We’ve started chatting to existing providers to see what’s out there.
We have a few restrictions - such as usually not being able to use cloud based products due to security reasons.
Is anyone using any existing products/systems for this? Or have you created your own?

@fiona I’ve had my eye on http://nasdaqdesign.com/mosaiq/ for a while. If you are able to have your eng spin up an internal site, you can install WordPress and use the mosaiq theme to your liking (in theory). Find someone who’s got some PHP chops and I think this will work for an on prem solution that looks decent.

I think these are growing challenges internationally. Although Europe is now very clear on data protection and how you store anything that has identifiable data on an individual of any kind, there are similar laws in Australia, and most recently a law was passed in California which is expected to be picked up by other states in the United States of America.

There is a growing challenge and misunderstanding of the concept of cloud computing and what that means, because not all cloud computing = data held across the globe, it could just as easily be virtualised servers in a single location. The law in Europe at least is quite clear that there is no issue with cloud storage, you just have to identify which territory the data is hosted in.

The question that came up recently for me and a client was whether there was any benefit to cloud hosting over local servers. All their employees are within one location and have access to it. Without a remote workforce the purpose of cloud is understandably redundant from an access point of view, but the cost of physical drive space is still something to consider.

I don’t see anything wrong with well structured and designed storage directories locally and referencing the files within another platform.

To give an example there’s nothing saying you can’t have non PII data housed in a cloud platform such as Google Sheets, or Airtable et al with url references to local drives. They will not be accessible unless you have permission and are on the network. It’s also possible to encrypt those references if necessary too.

TL;DR

I think it is good practice to decouple the artefact and the indexing tool used to catalogue their location.

At the very least if you choose to use another platform later down the line or the one you pick is sunset, there’s a greater chance of getting back on top with a new platform because you have good archives of artefacts.

I’ve put together a few of these in the past but having just switched jobs I’m evaluating purpose built tools again. If anyone has used any repository tools I’d love to hear your opinions!

It’s looking like we’ll roll our own and repurpose a CMS for internal use. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

For anyone who video records user interviews / sessions, check our this out: http://beta.timelessresearch.com

It’s a video research repository to store all your interviews in one place and create playlists of digestible clips to better advocate for users.

I think the list of tools is fantastic and a great help. I’m also at the stage of looking for some kind of research repository to store and surface/share research insight at my company. There are so many tools and possibilities but no user reviews or guidance as to the scope and effectiveness of these tools. Any ideas where I could start? Also has anyone had any experience of Gleanly - I came across this beta tool at a recent UXBrighton conference?